SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NO 50 (SOUDLEY BRIDGE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055359

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NO 50 (SOUDLEY BRIDGE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NO 50 (SOUDLEY BRIDGE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:48:14.

Location

Statutory Address: SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NO 50 (SOUDLEY BRIDGE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cheswardine

National Grid Reference: SJ 72372 27494

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESWARDINE C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 72 NW 8/13 Bridge No 50 - (Soudley Bridge)

- II

Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Dressed red sandstone with tooled ashlar dressings. Elliptical arch with voussoirs and flush keystone. Decidedly humped-back shape with flat string course and parapet with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with grooves caused by rope-haulage. This stretch of canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp. 183-9, Thomas Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie. A portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal.

Listing NGR: SJ7237227494

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260163

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985)
Pellow, T, Bowen, P, The Shroppie A Portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal

End of official listing