SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055377

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:12:20.

Location

Statutory Address: SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shawbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 55898 21191

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 5521 SHAWBURY C.P. CHURCH STREET (east side) 19/115 - Sundial approx. 12 metres to north- west of tower of Church of Saint Mary the Virgin GV II

Sundial. Late C18. Dressed grey sandstone. Circular base consisting of 4 steps with moulded nosings. Stubby Tuscan column. Circular copper dial plate inscribed: "Use well/these few bright/but ever fleetinge/hours" and "veni vide vale". Accounts record that 3s. was paid for putting up the sundial in 1784 and that £1 3s. 0d. was paid in 1786 for "a Dial piller". The dial appears to have been made in 1771 when £7 7s. 0d. was paid for it and £3 3s. 0d. for the dial plate. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p.724.

Listing NGR: SJ5589821191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260110

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 724

End of official listing