- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055417 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 22:49:06.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 50945 23146
SJ 5023-5123 CLIVE C.P. -
16/9 Sansaw -
Country house. Dated 1773 (rainwater heads) with alterations and additions dated 1888 (rainwater heads) for Mr James Jenkinson Bibby; late C20 alterations. Red brick with yellow/grey Grinshill sandstone dressings; hipped slate roof. 5 x 6 bays with quadrant wings to a pair of pavilions forming an entrance courtyard to the north. 3 storeys with one-storey pavilions. South (garden) front: plinth, stone dentil cornice, balustraded parapet altered or rebuilt in 1888, that part above central break with urns and segmental-raised centre above with shield lettered: "B". Three cruciform-shaped ridge stacks with stone cornices and caps, on returns and at rear. 2:1:2 bays; glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads and stone cills; central first- and second-floor windows with bracketed cills and lugged moulded architraves, central first-floor window also with frieze and moulded cornice. Projecting late C19 ashlar ground floor of 3:3:3 bays, consisting of 2 square bays with Doric pilasters flanking central porch with cable-fluted square-section Ionic columns, continuous entablature with triglyph frieze, moulded cornice, and balustraded parapet with dies. Central pair of half-glazed doors with plain fanlight and late C18 ashlar Doric doorcase with three-quarter columns, triglyph dosserets, dentil cornice, open triangular pediment, and side-lights with lugged architraves and continuous dentil cornice. Right-hand return front with C19 square bay to left and tall staircase window in second bay from right. Pavilions: left-hand C18 with late C19 and late C20 alterations and right-hand wholly late C19. Each with plinth, moulded cornice with blocking course, triangular-pedimented gable ends, brick ridge stack, and Venetian window to front with frieze and moulded cornice. Mostly C20 five-bay left-hand quadrant link and C19 right-hand quadrant- link with keyed oeil-de-boeuf. North (entrance) front: 3 bays; projecting ground floor with large 3-bay Tuscan porch and Ionic doorcase behind. Wings with tripartite windows to front, that to right with carved stone panel above. Interior: mainly 1888, in a C18 revival style. Pair of ground-floor front rooms with egg and dart plaster cornices and ceiling with thin strapwork ornament; pair of probably late C18 marble fireplaces. Staircase around rectangular well with open string, cut brackets, turned balusters, and moulded ramped handrail with curtail; screen with Tuscan columns in antis. Mr J. J. Bibby, the shipping owner, also paid for the restoration and enlargment of the parish church of All Saints (q.v.). The late C19 alterations to the house included extending the main block to the north, doubling it in size, altering the western pavilion and rebuilding or adding the eastern pavilion. In the late C20 the house has been further altered by the demolition of some of the late C19 additions including a full-height bay and the top 2 storeys of a service block to the west (see new brickwork), and incorporating a garage in the western pavilion and remodelling the link between it and the main block. The house stands within a park which includes a stable block (q.v.) to the north, an ice house (q.v.) and an ornamental lake.
Listing NGR: SJ5094523146
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing