FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES TO NORTH OF NORTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055566
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES TO NORTH OF NORTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES TO NORTH OF NORTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 09:56:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES TO NORTH OF NORTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Acton Burnell
National Grid Reference:
SJ 53352 01947

Details

ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL SJ 50 SW 6/2 Former font approx. - 5 metres to north of north porch of Church of St Mary GV II Font, now disused. C15 or C16. Sandstone. octagonal base, stem, and bowl. No decorative enrichment. This font is said to have come from the old chapel at Acton Pigott (q.v.) which was disused by circa 1730 and largely destroyed by 1866. The font was still in place in 1786. John Salmon, Acton Burnell and its Church, 1974, P.3; V.C.H., Vol. VIII, Pp. 6 and 12.



Listing NGR: SJ5335201947

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259653
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
Salmon, J, Acton Burnell and its Church, (1974), 3
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08171/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].