This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PRINCIPAL'S HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRINCIPAL'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1055568

Location

THE PRINCIPAL'S HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Acton Burnell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259658

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL SJ 50 SW 6/6 The Principal's House - (formerly listed as The Old Rectory) GV II

Rectory, now house. Dated 1714 with early C19 alterations. Red brick on red and grey sandstone rubble plinth; slate roofs. L-plan. 2 storeys and gable- lit attic. Plat band to right-hand part, and parapeted gables with returned stone copings; large brick ridge stack off-centre to left and integral brick end stack to right. Right-hand part of 4 bays; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes, 2 ground floor windows to right have been altered (see straight joints) probably in the late C18 or early C19 to form a segmental-headed tripartite glazing bar sash with red sandstone keystone; 4-panelled door in second bay from left with panelled reveals and moulded architrace, and mid-C19 painted brick porch with panels flanking round arch, and moulded cornice to blocking course. Gabled wing projecting at right-angles to left, altered in early C19 (see straight joint); segmental-headed attic glazing bar sash with exposed box, and possibly late C19 or early C20 2-storey canted bay on brick plinth with channelled rusticated bottom panels, and wooden dentil eaves cornice to flat top; glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves, lugged on first floor to centre and on ground floor to sides, and that in centre on ground floor with section of moulded cornice above; horned tripartite glazing bar sash in right- hand return front. Datestone in right-hand gable end: "PS/1714". Interior: early C19 staircase with stick balusters and moulded wreathed handrail with columnular newel.



Listing NGR: SJ5325301996

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 53253 01996

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 03:28:39.

End of official listing