ACTON BURNELL STORES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055573
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
ACTON BURNELL STORES

Map

Ordnance survey map of ACTON BURNELL STORES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 16:00:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
ACTON BURNELL STORES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Acton Burnell
National Grid Reference:
SJ 53047 02027

Details

ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL SJ 50 SW 6/16 Acton Burnell Stores - GV II Pair of houses, latterly inn, now house, shop and tea room. Early C19. Red brick on coursed rubble plinth, partly rendered to right; plain tile roofs. L-plan with gabled wing projecting at right-angles to right. 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, dentil brick eaves cornice (bricks on edge), and parapeted gable end to left; gabled roof dormer off-centre to left with 3-light casement, central roof-light; truncated brick ridge stack off-centre to right, and external brick end stacks, that to left truncated. 4:1 bays; glazing bar sashes with slightly segmental heads, some with horns; first-floor blind window in second bay from left and ground- floor casement in left-hand bay; half-glazed panelled door in second bay from left; mid- to late C19 shop front in right-hand wing with 2- light shop window to right,half-glazed door to left, and pilastered surround. Until the 1870s this building was The Stag's Head Inn, first mentioned in 1823. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.6.



Listing NGR: SJ5304702027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259668
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08171/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].