This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

3 AND 4

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 3 AND 4

List entry Number: 1055575

Location

3 AND 4

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Acton Burnell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259674

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON PIGOTT SO 50 SW 6/22 Nos. 3 and 4 - GV II House. Late C17 with mid- to late C19 and late C20 alterations and additions. Timber framed, partly rebuilt and extended in red brick; plain tile roofs. L-plan; one framed bay with flush gabled cross- wing of 2 framed bays to right and additions to left. One storey and attic and 2 storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice; 4 gabled eaves dormers with 2-light wooden casement, 3 to right C20; brick ridge stack off-centre to left and external brick end stack to rear of right- hand cross-wing. Framing: square panels, 3 and 4 from sole-plate to wall-plate; long straight tension braces; right-hand cross-wing has exposed collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts and V-struts. 6-window front; C20 two-light wooden casements, small 2-light C19 fire window third from left; 3 first-floor C20 casements to right and small C19 casement off-centre to left; pair of boarded doors to right. Adjoining C20 garage block set back to left and C20 conserva- tory between wings at rear. Interior not inspected but chamfered beams and large open fireplace with chamfered lintel were noted. This house was probably that formerly known as Glebe Farmhouse, on the site of a medieval parsonage and said to have been an ale house in 1638. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.6.



Listing NGR: SJ5410902744

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 6

National Grid Reference: SJ 54109 02744

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055575 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 10:39:28.

End of official listing