CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055589

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 14:50:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD GATES AND GATE PIERS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Longnor

National Grid Reference: SJ 48835 00501

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4800-4900 LONGNOR C.P. LONGNOR 9/64 Churchyard gates and gate - piers approx. 20 metres to east of Church of St. Mary

GV II

Churchyard gates and gate piers. Early C18 gate piers and gates of c.1934. Square grey sandstone ashlar piers with plinths, chamfered rustication and cyma-recta moulded cornices to flat tops. Pair of cast iron gates with dog bars and dog rails, top rail with remains of plate lettering, and alternate bars projecting above with urn finials. Cast plate on right-hand pier superscribed: "THESE GATES/WERE F'RESENTED TO/ MAJOR E.R.T. CORBETT M.B.E./BY MEMBERS OF/THE SHROPSHIRE I: WEST MIDLANDS/ AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY/AS A TOKEN OF THEIR APPRECIATION/OF HIS SERVICES TO/THE SOCIETY/ANNO MDCDXXXIV". Cast plate on left-hand pier, superscribed: "THE MEMBERS AND OFFICERS OF/THE ATCHAM/RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL/PLANTED THE GROUP OF OAK TREES/N.W. CORNER OF PARK TO EXPRESS/THEIR AFFECTION AND GRATITUDE TO/MAJOR E.R.T. CORBETT, M.B.E./THEIR CHAIRMAN FROM/1920 to 1939". The gate piers are similar to two sets of piers to the north of Longnor Hall (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ4883500501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259605

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing