THE DOWER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055591
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
THE DOWER HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055591.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 18:00:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DOWER HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longnor
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48817 00668

Details

SJ 4800-4900 LONGNOR C.P. LONGNOR

9/69 The Dower House -

- II

Dower house, now house. Circa 1756 with late C19 and c.1915 alterations and additions. Red brick with hipped plain tile roof. Roughly square C18 house with additions. 2 storeys and attic. Chamfered plinth, toothed brick eaves cornice, and 3 late C19 gabled brick eaves dormers with segmental- headed 4-pane sashes; brick ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and parapeted gable ends with external brick end stack at-rear. 5 bays; glazing bar sashes with exposed moulded boxes, stone cills, and stone lintels with triple keystones; one step up to central pair of early C19 half-glazed doors with margin lights, beaded flush lower panels, reeded architrave with square corner paterae, and early C19 flat hood with 4- panelled soffit, moulded cornice and lead covering (hood raised and incorporate in probably C20 rustic porch). Late C19 one-bay gabled addition to right with toothed brick verge, central brick ridge stack and 2 brick stacks to rear. Left-hand return front: 4 bays; glazing bar sashes, some painted imitations; central-ground-floor early C20 brick addition with bay. C20 three-storey addition set-back to left. 3 gables to rear. Interior: C18 three-flight staircase with landings, open string with cut brackets, 2 turned balusters per tread, turned bottom newel post, moulded ramped handrail and dado rail; depressed round archway from entrance hall to rear of house with cartouche instead of keystone; left-hand ground-floor room has C18 fireplace with tiled reveals, lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze, and moulded cornice; panelled shutters.

Listing NGR: SJ4881700668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259610
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].