NEW HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055594

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: NEW HALL FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055594 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:50:56.

Location

Statutory Address: NEW HALL FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Smethcott

National Grid Reference: SJ 45675 00976

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 SE SMETHCOTT C.P. -

2/79 New Hall Farmhouse -

GV II

Farmhouse. Early to mid-C16 and c.1600, rebuilt and remodelled in the early and mid-C19. Timber framed with painted brick nogging, partly rebuilt in red brick; plain tile roof. L-plan; two early to mid-C16 framed bays aligned approximately east-west with c.1600 two-bay wing at right angles to east. Framing: closely-spaced uprights; partly with middle rail. East front: external brick end stack,to right and brick ridge stack on wing to rear. 3 windows; 2- and 3-light late C19 wooden casements with tumbled brick heads; central C20 half-glazed door with 4-part rectangular overlight and brick porch with stone-coped parapeted gable. Blocked gabled brick porch in left-hand return front. Gabled timber framed block in angle at rear. Interior: chamfered beams and joists in rear wing; remains of former external oriel window visible in bathroom with moulded wooden cill and carved scroll bracket. New Hall Farm is first mentioned in 1583. From that date until 1662 it was occupied by the Phillips family, lords of part of Smethcott manor. The farmhouse forms part of a complete farmstead group also including a large barn (q.v.). V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.150.

Listing NGR: SJ4567500976

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259620

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 150

End of official listing