CHATWALL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1055617
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
CHATWALL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHATWALL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:58:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHATWALL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cardington
National Grid Reference:
SO 51419 97544

Details

SO 59 NW; 5/31

CARDINGTON C.P., CARDINGTON, Chatwall Hall

29.1.52

II*

Farmhouse. Mid-Cl7 with c.1700 alterations and c.1899 additions. Dressed Hoar Edge Grit sandstone with C20 plain tile roof. Irregular plan. Two storeys and attic. Three gables to front, left-hand projecting; chamfered plinth, large pebble-dashed external stack in front of right- hand gable with tiled set back to brick shaft and external lateral stone stack at rear with brick shaft. 2-window front; C17 three-light double-chamfered mullioned stone windows and 2-light attic windows, that to left minus mullion but with Shrewsbury arms in roundel above. Small blocked double-chamfered window in right-hand return of wing; centre has first-floor window with moulded cornice and two ground- floor c.1700 two-light windows with flat-faced mullions, that to right with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Probably c.1700 one-storey dressed sandstone porch to right with moulded plinth and cornice, and flat roof, replacing former mono pitch; C19 Tudor-arched nail-studded boarded door with bolection-moulded surround and pulvinated frieze, and small double-chamfered stone window in left-hand return front. Introduced (probably replica) lead rainwater head between right-hand gable lettered: "AD/1620". Two C19 gabled wings at rear (see straight joint in right-hand end wall). INTERIOR: central ground-floor room C I has panelling dated: R S and lettered R C with fluted frieze, large 1659 corner fireplace with chamfered lintel, carved frieze and C18 raised and fielded panelled overmantel, the centre panel with a shaped top, and chamfered ceiling beam with plain and ogee stops. Right-hand ground-floor room has fireplace with chamfered dressed sandstone reveals and chamfered wooden lintel with mason's mitre. Ogee-stopped chamfered cross-beamed ceiling also with chamfered joists. Left-hand first- floor room with corner fireplace. Timber-framed cross walls; left- hand wing has collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and v-struts. Gable end of right-hand wing is timber framed with square panels, angle braces, and cambered tie-beam truss with queen struts and v-struts. The right-hand gable formerly projected with a timber framed wing. This probably explains its unfinished look and the large external stack. B.0.E., p.95. - -

Listing NGR: SO5141997544

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259572
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 95

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14803/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].