This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1055630

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Pontesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259500

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. LEA CROSS

4/196 Church of St Anne -

- II

Proprietary church. 1888 by J.L. Randall of Shrewsbury. Red brick with ashlar and painted brick dressings, machine tile roofs. Nave, chancel, central tower and north lean-to transept; west baptistery with adjoining north porch and south vestry; Byzantine Gothic style. Tower: in 3 stages with tall pyramidal roof, modillioned and corbelled eaves cornice; 3 prominent gabled lucarnes with chimney stack to east, 3 plain lancets to belfry on north and south and lean-to transept between stepped buttresses below a row of 5 lancers on north. Buttressed nave in 2 bays with 2 lancets to west bay and 3 to east (north side); lean-to baptistery at west end with apsidal projection under conical roof, gabled porch and vestry attached to north and south respectively with large rose window above. Short chancel with blind north and south walls and an east window of 5 Gothic lights, dentilled eaves cornice. Interior: arch-braced collar beam roof to nave and panelled roof to chancel; at the west end a stone arcade supported on marble pillars separates the baptistery, containing a marble font, from the body of the church; elaborately carved marble pulpit and in the chancel the large altar tomb of Mrs Anne Hawkes (died 1882), mother of the founder, S.J. Hawkes, rector of the second portion of Pontesbury parish. V.C.H. VIII (1968), Pp. 284, 290.

Listing NGR: SJ4237408202

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 284, 290

National Grid Reference: SJ 42374 08202

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055630 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 05:19:11.

End of official listing