CRUCKTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055663

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CRUCKTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRUCKTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 13:26:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CRUCKTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Pontesbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 42932 10156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 41 SW PONTESBURY C.P. CRUCKTON

1/177 Cruckton Hall -

GV II

Small country house, now school. Mainly c.1770, with later additions and alterations, principally of mid-to late C19, but incorporating parts of an earlier house. Red brick with ashlar dressings, slate roofs and brick ridge stacks. Symmetrical plan with 2 projecting 2-bay cross-wings to north. 3 storeys; continuous brick floor band to first floor and a moulded stone string course to second; stone parapet to top carried up around low pediments to centre and cross-wings; 2:1:3:1:2 windows, the central 3 bays slightly projecting, all flush-framed glazing bar sashes with segmental heads; central entrance with sandstone Doric porch (c.1900) and half-glazed double doors; C18 lead downpipe in angle between left-hand wing and main range. Kitchen range to right probably c.1800 and lofty, single-storey billiard room with slate roof and bracketed eaves cornice to left, c.1900. Garden front considerably altered, the dominant feature being a prominent 2-storeyed canted bay added c.1812 with tall 18-paned glazing bar sash to ground floor. Interior: considerably altered but early C17 chamfered ceiling beams on ground floor of west wing are part of earlier house; disfigured late C18 staircase on south side and on first floor of c.1812 addition a fine plaster ceiling with hunting horn as central motif. The house is said to have been 'almost new built' by Edward Harries in 1770s. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.259.

Listing NGR: SJ4293210156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259480

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 259

End of official listing