This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEWNHAM HALL FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEWNHAM HALL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1055690

Location

NEWNHAM HALL FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Pontesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. -

4/144 Newnham Hall - Farmhouse (formerly listed as Newnham) 29.1.52 GV II

Farmhouse. 1723, for John Nicholls, re-modelled and eaves raised early C19 with later additions and alterations. Red brick with stuccoed front, coped verges on kneelers, slate roofs and end stacks. Original house L-shaped with a mid-C19 addition in angle to rear. 3 storeys; brick storey bands (c.1723) at first and second floor levels to left and right-hand returns and dentilled eaves cornices (early to mid-C19) to short range of L and to mid-C19 addition. 5-bay front; glazing bar sashes and central porch with 2 pairs of Tuscan columns over half-glazed door with rectangular overlight; stuccoed imitation quoins. Twin blocked oval-shaped openings to original gables (former attic windows) and late C19 canted bay window to left-hand return; datestone N above second storey floor band to right-hand return. Late C19 J M lean-to against right-hand gable end with mid-C20 flat-roofed 1723 extension in front, also to right. Interior: chamfered beams in cellars probably re-used from earlier house on site. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.260.

Listing NGR: SJ4116309960

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 260

National Grid Reference: SJ 41163 09960

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 04:28:04.

End of official listing