ST JOHNS SCHOOLROOMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055717
Date first listed:
27-Oct-1982
Statutory Address:
ST JOHNS SCHOOLROOMS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JOHNS SCHOOLROOMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 19:32:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST JOHNS SCHOOLROOMS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Yeovil
National Grid Reference:
ST 55619 16050

Details

ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH STREET (North side)

5/11 St Johns Schoolrooms

27.10.82

GV II

Schoolrooms erected 1816/7. Ham stone ashlar in a Quasi-collegiate manner, Welsh slated roof between coped gables, each gable crowned by short stone chimney stack. 2-storey 5-bay facade to Church Street, with a big arched recessed porch in Tudor style centrally with steps up, and plinth all around; tall 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with flat heads and linked label moulds at both levels, with string course to first floor cill level and stone eaves moulding. On the return Church Path elevation are the main gable, a short extension and a smaller gable: the main gable has corbelled projecting chimney stack as main feature, flanked by matching 3-light mullioned and transomed windows at each level, the centre light of the first floor windows being raised; the windows are repeated in the one-bay extension and second gable (first floor only), beneath this last pair of pointed arched entrance doorways: above and between them a good oblong sculptured panel. The interior not seen. Erected to replace the earlier (1618) Sunday Schools which stood in Vicarage Street, and incorporating the Chantry (q.v.).

Listing NGR: ST5561916050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
261348
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00107/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].