Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055761.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2021 at 09:38:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Bromley (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 40192 70453


LONDON LANE, BROMLEY 1. 4407 Quernmore Secondary School TQ 47 SW 6/41 10.1.55.


2. Originally called Plaistow Lodge. This House was built about 1777 by Peter Thelusson who died in 1797. His will, dated 1796, in which he directed that the income from his estate should be accumulated during the lives of all his children, grand-children and great grand-children living at his death and then distributed to the male representatives of his sons' families, when it was wtimated that it would amount to approximately £100,000,000 was the cause of the passing of the Accumulations Act 1800, commonly called the Thelusson Act, which still governs the question of the accumulation of income. From 1822-57 the house was the residence of the Banker, Walter Boyd, who looked after English interests in Frame from 1792-1815. It has been a school since 1896. It consists of a centre and 2 wings. The centre had 5 storeys and 5 windows on the west or entrance front. The ground floor is of rusticated ashlar with recessed round-headed windows having panels of balustrading below and keystones above. The 1st and 2nd floors are of stock brick with 4 stone pilasters having composite capitals, an entablature with paterae above the pilasters, a modillion eaves cornice and a pediment over the 3 centre window bays. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds with panels of balustrading below them and glazing bars intact. Those on the 1st floor have a frieze of fluting and paterae and pediments over, the outer ones triangular, the inner ones curved, the centre window being a serliana. Large stone porch with fluted Doric columns and half-glazed doors both in front and at the sides. The wings consist of linking portions and end pavilions. The former have 2 storeys and 3 windows each, the outer window bay on each side curving out to the pavilions. They are all of brick except for a rusticated stone doorway in the centre. Stringcourse, cornice and parapet. Round-headed recessed windows on ground floor. The pavilions, also of brick, have 1 large serliana each flanked by niches with statues and coade ware plaques of gryphyns above these. Stone stringcourse, cornice and pediments. The back of east front has a bow on all floors in the centre of the main block, a serliana on each side of this on the 1st floor, with rusticated pilasters below these, a round-headed window in the centre of each wing flanked by niches containing large bases and 2 storeys of windows in the pavilions, the north one having large tripartite windows with stuccoed pilasters between the lights which are probably a later insertion. The original interior was gutted except for the hall and back staircase.

Listing NGR: TQ4019270453


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11903/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].