This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1055805



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Marden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174704

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/47 Great Cheveney House and Great 23.5.67 Cheveney House South


House. C15, with alterations and additions of late C15 or early C16, late C16 or early C17, mid C17, and 1747. Timber framed core. Left wing red and grey brick in Flemish bond to front, and brick infilling to broadly-spaced studding to left side of ground floor, first floor tile-hung. Front wing and central rear wing brick on ground floor (part of front wing in English bond) and tile-hung above. Main range and right side of front wing red brick in Flemish bond with thin mortar joints. Plain tile roofs. C15 open hall of 2 timber-framed bays, formerly also with storeyed end bays, that to right re-built or extended in C15 or early C16 to project to rear as cross-wing (central rear wing). Storeyed left end bay altered in late C16 or early C17, and a cross-wing (left wing) of 3 timber- framed bays added to its left side, projecting to rear. Mid C17 wing (front wing) of 2 timber-framed bays built projecting forwards from front elevation of storeyed left end bay and narrow left hall bay of C15 section. Right hall bay refaced, and storeyed right end bay rebuilt (except section projecting to rear), and extended to right in 1747 (main range). 2 storeys, attic and basement. Continuous jetty to long left side of left wing. Plat band to main range and to right side of front wing. Boxed eaves to main range. Roof of left wing hipped to front, with slightly lower eaves than front wing, and half-hipped to rear. Roof of front wing hipped to front with same eaves line as main range. Central rear wing half-hipped to rear. Main range roofed in two spans, with hip to right end. Early-to-mid C17 stack with 3 octagonal flues on moulded rectangular plinth set across ridge towards centre of left wing. Projecting early-to-mid C17 brick stack in English bond with moulded brick cornice to base of rectangular flue, to left side of front wing. Brick stack in rear slope of roof towards left end of main range (to right end of left hall bay). 2 hipped dormers to main range. Irregular fenestration of 5 windows; one four-light diamond mullion window and one small six- paned light to front gable end of left wing, and three recessed 16- pane sashes to main range, one to left and two to right of door. 2 recessed 16-pane sashes to right side of front wing. Splayed rubbed brick voussoirs to ground-floor windows of main range. Further wood mullion windows to rear of wings. Boarded door under flat bracketed hood to front gable end of left wing. Panelled door with two top lights in panelled recess, with flat bracketed hood, to left end of former storeyed right end bay. Further panelled door to rear of hall. Brick over ground-floor window of main range carved with initials and date E * M 1747. Sash window to right gable end has, scratched on pane, 1761 James (Peachy?). Interior: only partly inspected. Exposed framing. Chamfered beams. Smoke-blackened crown- post roof to former open hall, with octagonal crown post with square moulded capital and base. Moulded octagonal crown post to central rear wing. Clasped-purlin roof to left and front wings. Staggered butt purlin roof to right end bays. Late C16 or early C17 fireplace to left end of hall. Slightly later stack to left wing, with plain brick ground-floor fireplace, elliptical brick first-floor fireplace with catered bressumer, and graffiti date of 1656 in attic. Plank and muntin right end-of-hall partition re-used as shelves. C17 panelling to ground floor of right hall bay. Sections of C17 staircase with splat balusters and moulded handrail. Three-plank doors. Lath-and-plaster partition to attic of front wing, said to be pen for fighting cocks. Complete brick stack, bread oven and copper stand to ground floor of front wing. Panelled C18 internal shutters to ground-floor windows of main range. (K. Gravett, unpublished analysis, 1980s).

Listing NGR: TQ7357842234

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 73578 42234


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2018 at 03:01:32.

End of official listing