This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION

List entry Number: 1055870

Location

CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION, SPINKILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Eckington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79605

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF ECKINGTON SPINKILL LANE SK 47 NE 8/124 Church of the Immaculate Conception II Catholic church. 1846 by James Hansom, with extensions of 1864 and 1966. Regularly coursed coal measures sandstone with ashlar gritstone dressings, rising from a diagonal plinth, coped gables with cross finials, coped gables and Welsh slated roofs. Tower with broach spire, with single stage projecting tower stair tower, nave with south nave porch, chancel with north and south chancel chapels, and extension to chancel chapel of 1964. Three stage tower with stepped clasping buttresses, with set-offs, with moulded stringcourse linking lancet buttresses set-off and moulded bandcourses delineating the tower stages. Coupled pointed arched EE style belfry lights below a moulded cornice from which the octagonal spire rises. The spire has decorative diagonal masonry bands and lucarnes, which incorporate clock faces, with cross finials. South face with niche, with Dec. style surround, with statue of the Virgin. Projecting single storey tower for tower stair, with stepped flagged roof. Tall lancet to west tower wall at first stage level, with deeply moulded surround below hoodmould with foliage stops. Lancets to ground floor beneath continuous string which acts as hoodmould. Gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, coped gable with cross finial and tripartite niche to gable apex with figures of the Virgin and attendant angels. Single doorway with moulded pointed arch beneath hoodmould with head stop. Nave of five bays, with stepped diagonal buttresses to west end, and similar buttresses delineating nave bays. Steeply pointed arched 2-light windows within deeply recessed and moulded surround with moulded stringcourse below cills and hoodmoulds with head stops. Chamfered eaves band carried on corbel table. Chancel south chapel with stepped diagonal buttresses, and four linked shallow 2-light windows with trefoil heads to lights supporting quatrefoils. Hoodmoulds to each window with carved stops. Single 3-light pointed arched window with simple tracery to east end. Chancel with simplified corbel table, diagonal buttresses, and a 3-light window with deeply recessed and moulded surround. Moulded stringcourse steps up beneath cill level. Chancel south chapel with seven linked single lights, each a cusped lancet beneath a hoodmould, the moulding linked at the capitals of intermediate attached shafts. Diagonal buttresses to north-east corner. Vestry of 1864 to north of chapel with plain chamfered plinth and three 2-light cross windows with trefoil heads to each light. Taller cross windows to north gable, with diagonal projecting stack, separating lancets in gable apex, and terminating in circular stone chimney. Vestry doorway to west of extension, now blocked and used as window. Plain flat roofed extension to nave north wall. Interior. Roof carried on elaborate corbels which support roof posts. Tall EE style chancel arch, alabaster reredos of 1904, contemporary reredos with upper part of 1904. Chancel north chapel with diminutive hammer beam roof.

Listing NGR: SK4543278611

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 45432 78611

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 05:15:19.

End of official listing