This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE NUMBER 57 (ELLESMERE TUNNEL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE NUMBER 57 (ELLESMERE TUNNEL)

List entry Number: 1055907

Location

BRIDGE NUMBER 57 (ELLESMERE TUNNEL)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ellesmere Rural

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260856

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. SJ 4034-4134 18/157

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (Llangollen Branch)

Bridge Number 57 (Ellesmere Tunnel)

II

Canal tunnel. Circa 1797 to 1801 with minor later alterations on William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Red brick with stone-coped parapet (heightened in late C20 on west side) terminating in square corner piers with shallow pyramidal caps. Elliptical arch with rusticated stone voussoirs (plus projecting keystone to west side) and flat string course. Approximately 90 metres long with cast-iron handrail to towpath. This section of the Ellesmere Canal was completed circa 1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the Chester Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 October 2016.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 173
Wilson, E, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal, (1975), 19-20

National Grid Reference: SJ4120034030

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055907 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:36:19.

End of official listing