LIMEKILNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH-EAST OF BRIDGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055943

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: LIMEKILNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH-EAST OF BRIDGE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIMEKILNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH-EAST OF BRIDGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:40:30.

Location

Statutory Address: LIMEKILNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES NORTH-EAST OF BRIDGE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Baschurch

National Grid Reference: SJ 42068 25689

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 42 NW; 12/41

BASCHURCH C.P., WESTONWHARF, Limekilns approx. 60m north-east of Bridge Farmhouse

II

Limekilns, now disused. 1797 on the Hordley to Weston section of the proposed Shrewsbury Branch of William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Roughly coursed limestone rubble mainly concealed by earth mound. Three segmental-arched openings with red brick and engineering brick heads. This section of canal opened in 1797 and a wharf, four limekilns, public house, stables, clerk's house and a weighing machine were built here. In the event the canal got no nearer Shrewsbury and the project was abandoned at this point. This section of canal was disused by 1917 when the banks burst at Dandyford a few miles to the north of Westonwharf. Bridge Farmhouse is not included in this list.

Listing NGR: SJ4206825689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260741

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 173-4
Russell, R, Lost Canals and Waterways of Britain, (1982), 135

End of official listing