SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055949
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE, SHREWSBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055949 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 09:29:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUNDIAL APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE, SHREWSBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cockshutt
National Grid Reference:
SJ 43481 29203

Details

COCKSHUTT C.P. SHREWSBURY ROAD SJ 42 NW (north-east side) 12/60 Sundial approx. 12m - south of nave of Church of St. Simon and St. Jude GV II Sundial. Probably late C18 but plate dated 1724. Limestone. Vase- shaped baluster with moulded plinth and capping. Brass plate and gnomon, former said to be dated 1724 but inscription illegible at time of resurvey (January 1987). D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.748.

Listing NGR: SJ4348129203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260760
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 748

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16808/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].