Whitchurch Heritage Centre

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055955

Date first listed: 13-Aug-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: WHITCHURCH HERITAGE CENTRE, 12, SAINT MARYS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of Whitchurch Heritage Centre
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 18:07:38.

Location

Statutory Address: WHITCHURCH HERITAGE CENTRE, 12, SAINT MARYS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Whitchurch Urban

National Grid Reference: SJ 54208 41611

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/04/2019

SJ 5441; 8/119

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P., SAINT MARY'S STREET (south-west side), No. 12, Whitchurch Heritage Centre

(Previously listed as Post Office)

13.8.70

GV

II

Former Wesleyan chapel; post office when surveyed. 1810, altered internally in the C20. Rendered, or painted grey sandstone ashlar. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Plinth, rusticated ground floor, floor bands, Giant Tuscan order of pilasters with frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course, and central steep one-bay pediment. Circular cowling on roof. 1:1:1 bays, with central break. Outer first-floor round-arched glazing-bar sashes with plain architraves and impost blocks, and central first-floor Venetian window with plain architrave and impost blocks. Ground-floor elliptical arched windows (probably altered in the C20) with margin lights, three recessed panels below, moulded imposts and voussoirs. Central pair of doors, each with three raised and fielded panels, 3-part elliptical-arched fanlight and wooden doorcase with Tuscan pilasters and entablature. Return fronts of five bays to left and three bays to right, each with plinth, floor band and round- arched glazing bar sashes. Interior altered in C20. This chapel was replaced in 1879 by Saint John's Methodist Church (q.v.) in Saint John's Street. R.C.H.M. (England), Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses (London, 1986), p. 236.

Listing NGR: SJ5420841611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260675

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 236

End of official listing