17, GREEN END
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- 17, GREEN END
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055977 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 05:54:30.
- Statutory Address:
- 17, GREEN END
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Whitchurch Urban
- National Grid Reference:
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. GREEN END (north side)
House, now empty. Circa 1700, with addition of c.1900. Red brick with painted sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic over basement. High plinth with moulded stone top, chamfered stone quoins, and stone floor band with moulded lower edge, broken forward over keystones. Carved and moulded wooden eaves cornice with scrolled modillions and egg and dart enrichment, and parapeted gable ends with chamfered stone copings and shaped kneelers. Integral brick end stacks. Pair of flat-roofed dormers, each with boxed glazing bar sash, frieze, and moulded wooden cornice. 3 bays; early C19 glazing bar sashes (outer of 16-panes) in C18 openings with moulded stone cills and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Central door with 6 raised and fielded panels, moulded architrave, 3-part rectangular overlight, and carved scrolled brackets supporting lead-covered semi-circular hood with coved plaster soffit, and frieze and moulded cornice. Slate steps up to doorway with probably early C19 wrought-iron handrail to right, wreathed to circular foot newel and attached to short section of spearhead railings returning to wall. Basement window to right with chamfered pegged frame. Projecting c.1900 shop-front to left with chamfered-rusticated corner pier, frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course with globe end finial; plate- glass window to right and half-glazed door to left. Service wing at rear, largely obscured and altered by C20 additions but still retaining at least one C18 window with moulded cill. Interior: almost complete survival of c.1700 fixtures and fittings. Elaborate dog-leg oak staircase, rising to attic, with landings, open string with carved scrolled brackets, moulded nosings, Fluted column-on-vase balusters (2 per tread), ramped moulded handrail, and panelled square newel posts with moulded caps and pendants. Half-landings have short sections of balustrade with dipped handrail. Attic flights with pulvinated frieze, string with cut brackets, and unfluted balusters. Balustrade to basement with panelled square newel. Ground- floor right-hand room: raised and Yielded dado panelling with saltire ornament to rail. Fireplace (boarded over at time of survey - November 1986) with moulded architrave, frieze with carved scrollwork and central cornucopia, and carved cornice. Raised and fielded panel above. Buffet in far wall with pair of glazed doors and segmental arch with moulded architrave and raised keystone. Window with boarded internal shutters and moulded architrave. Depressed archway between first-floor landing and corridor to left has panelled piers with moulded capitals and moulded architrave with fluted keystone. Altered doorcase at end of corridor with enriched cornice and triangular pediment. Entrance into first-floor left- hand room with 6-panelled door, and doorcase with moulded architrave, frieze, dentil cornice and broken triangular pediment. Blocked fireplace in room with bolection-moulded architrave, moulded frieze,and cornice with egg and dart enrichment. First-floor left-hand room: door with 4 raised and fielded panels and doorcase with moulded architrave, frieze with shaped ends and central raised panel, and dentil cornice. Room redecorated in the early C19 with picture rail, moulded cornice etc. Window with moulded architrave. Attic has pair of C18 doors, each with 2 raised and fielded panels. Former kitchen to rear. Despite the addition of c.1900 this is still a fine and complete example of an early C18 town house.
Listing NGR: SJ5429441539
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing