This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARCLAYS BANK AND BARCLAYS BANK CHAMBERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARCLAYS BANK AND BARCLAYS BANK CHAMBERS

List entry Number: 1055982

Location

BARCLAYS BANK AND BARCLAYS BANK CHAMBERS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whitchurch Urban

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. HIGH STREET (north-east SJ 5441 side) 8/86 Barclays Bank and- Barclays 1.5.51 Bank Chambers (formerly listed as Barclay's Bank) GV II

Town Hall/Market House, now bank and surgery. 1718, altered internally probably in the mid-to late C18. Red brick with painted sandstone dressing. 2-span plain tile roof. Double-depth plan. Moulded stone plinth, chamfered quoins, flanking wide brick pilaster strips, stone plat band, and moulded stone cornice, breaking forward over pilasters, and parapet with chamfered stone coping (rebuilt to front with plain coping). Brick stacks in valley and integral brick end stack to left of rear range. Pair of cowlings to rear ridge. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. 3 bays; first- floor 15-pane glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Ground-floor 3-bay round-arched arcade with stumpy Tuscan columns, moulded architraves and raised keystones. 2 left- hand bays with inserted C20 glazing. Open arch to right forming porch to ground-floor,and stairs to first floor. Left-hand return front: 2 plat bands. 2 bays; first-floor 15-pane glazing bar sashes with keystones and blocked ground-floor arcade with inserted windows. Right-hand return front: rendered ground floor. Plat band. Right-hand first-floor glazing bar sash with keystone,and small wooden 2-light attic casements, that to left with segmented head. Rear: rendered ground floor. Wooden eaves cornice with cyma reversa moulding, and shaped stone kneelers to parapeted gable ends. 3 bays; first-floor 15-pane glazing bar sashes with stone cills and stone lintels. R.B. James, Whitchurch - A Short History (1979), p. 6.

Listing NGR: SJ5419741534

Selected Sources

Books and journals
James, R B , Whitchurch A Short History, (1979), 6

National Grid Reference: SJ 54197 41534

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 02:00:24.

End of official listing