POOL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056060
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
POOL COTTAGE, MORETONWOOD

Map

Ordnance survey map of POOL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056060 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 13:10:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
POOL COTTAGE, MORETONWOOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Moreton Say
National Grid Reference:
SJ 61748 36452

Details

SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. MORETONWOOD

5/112 Pool Cottage GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Pool House. Estate lodge. Dated 1872, probably by William Eden Nesfield. Timber framed with plastered infill panels on red brick plinth, and brick painted in imitation of framing. Fishscale tile-hung gables and fishscale tile roof, hipped to south-east. Irregular T-plan. One storey and attic. South-west (garden) front: chamfered plinth and coved eaves. Roof with lead rolls and globe finials at apex of hip and gables. Brick ridge stack at junction of 2 ranges and external lateral brick stack to rear , each consisting of a pair of star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops. Left-hand gabled wing has ground-floor canted bay with 2-:3-: 2-light wooden mullioned and transomed window,jettied attic with roll-moulded bressumer and end brackets, attic oriel consisting of 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed window with hipped roof and coved base with shaped end brackets, and jettied gable with a series of small brackets supporting a roll-moulded tie-beam and wall plates with shaped ends. Lower bressumer dated: "JP & AM / 1872". Right-hand range with small 2-light attic casement beneath eaves to left and ground-floor 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed window to right. Boarded door in angle of wing to left with roll-moulded surround and lean-to timber framed porch consisting of polygonal-arched entrance, chamfered arched braces with carved spandrels, carved bracket supporting wall plate to right and 4 ogee-headed side lights. 2 seats within. Right-hand gable end: full-height gabled square bay with 1-:4-:1- light mullioned and transomed ground-floor window, slightly jettied attic storey with roll-moulded bressumer and small brackets, 4-light mullioned and transomed attic window and shaped brackets supporting wall plates. Left-hand return front: ground-floor 3-light wooden casement to left and eaves dormer with bracketed gable and 3-light wooden casement. Boarded back door at rear with moulded surround and rectangular overlight. Interior not inspected. Nesfield designed Cloverley Hall (see Ightfield C.P.) nearby, built in 1864-70 but now demolished. This lodge and The Haven (q.v.) are attributed to him on stylistic grounds. B.o.E., p. 107; Jill Franklin, The Gentleman's Country House and its Plan 1835- 1914, p. 211.

Listing NGR: SJ6174836452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260417
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Franklin, J, The Gentlemans Country House and its Plan 1835-1914, (1981), 211
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 107

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11434/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].