ARCHWAY APPROXIMATELY ONE METRE TO SOUTH EAST OF BRAND HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056064
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
ARCHWAY APPROXIMATELY ONE METRE TO SOUTH EAST OF BRAND HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARCHWAY APPROXIMATELY ONE METRE TO SOUTH EAST OF BRAND HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056064 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 16:31:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARCHWAY APPROXIMATELY ONE METRE TO SOUTH EAST OF BRAND HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Norton in Hales
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69218 38370

Details

SJ 63 NE NORTON IN HALES C.P - SJ 6922 3837

6/124 Archway approx. one metre to south-east of Brand Hall GV II*

Archway. Circa 1700. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Piers with plinths, chamfered quoins and impost bands to elliptical arch. Open triangular pediment. This is one of a pair of ornamental archways flanking the front of Brand Hall (q.v.). They mark the line of the carriageway in front of the house and might formerly have formed part of a larger forecourt arrangement. Before the early C19 additions to the house they would have appeared more detached from the main block, to which they might have been physically attached by quadrant link walls. The old list description of the house (1959) states that the arches formerly contained ornamental iron gates. Both gates largely obscured by climbing plants at time of survey (July 1986). B.o.E., pp. 78-9.

Listing NGR: SJ6921838370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260430
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 78-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].