This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD

List entry Number: 1056074

Location

FORMER FONT APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD, NANTWICH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Woore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 74 SW WOORE C.P. NANTWICH ROAD (north- east side) 3/148 Former font approx. 15 metres to south- west of Church of Saint Leonard GV II

Font, now monument. Dated 1636. Dressed grey sandstone with herringbone tooling. Former octagonal font consisting of tapered stem with square base and panelled tapered bowl. Probably early C19 pyramidal stone cap with polyhedral finial. Late C19 or early C20 square brick pedestal. Bowl inscribed: "The gift of William Lawton 1636". An entry in the Mucklestone register of 1636 reads: "November 1. John Lawton, sone of William Lawton and Elizabeth ... bap., being the first baptism in the new Font or Baptistry given to the Chappell of Woore in the Parish of Muckleston by the gift of William Lawton". The font was probably removed from the old chapel when the present building (q.v.) was built in 1830- 1. Vivienne Painting, The History of St. Leonard's Church Woore Shropshire.

Listing NGR: SJ7304242358

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Painting, V, The History of St Leonards Church Woore Shropshire

National Grid Reference: SJ 73042 42358

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056074 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 04:33:51.

End of official listing