THE OLD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056084
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
THE OLD HOUSE, 41, SHROPSHIRE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 04:23:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD HOUSE, 41, SHROPSHIRE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Market Drayton
National Grid Reference:
SJ6744934055

Details

SJ 6634-6734; 13/71

MARKET DRAYTON C.P., SHROPSHIRE STREET (south-east side), No. 41 (The Old House)

(Formerly listed as No 41)

07.05.52

GV

II*

House. Circa 1680-1700 with late C18 addition at rear. Red brick with plain tile roof. Two storeys and attic over basement. Plinth, plat band, painted moulded wooden eaves cornice and parapeted gable ends with integral brick end stacks. Pair of dormers with triangular pedimented gables and leaded 2-light wooden-framed metal casements. 2:1:2 bays with central break; 8-pane glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes and gauged brick heads (dummy in second bay from left). Central break rising above cornice with semi-circular parapeted gable and attic glazing bar sash with exposed box, and plat band above; pitched roof behind with moulded eaves cornice. Segmental-headed 2-light wooden-framed leaded metal casements to basement. Central door with 6 raised and fielded panels, radial fanlight and early C19 wooden doorcase consisting of fluted pilasters, entablature with lattic ornament, and triangular pediment. Flight of seven semicircular grey sandstone steps. Rear: three storeys. One hipped leaded dormer with moulded cornice. Late C18 rear wing (see straight joint) with two plat bands and integral lateral brick stack to south-west. Segmental-headed 16-pane glazing bar sash and leaded attic cross window to rear.

INTERIOR: c.1680-1700. Oak staircase: dog-leg with landings, closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, and moulded square newel posts. Continues with balustrade to attic. Left-hand ground-floor room: now part of entrance hall (dividing wall removed in late C20 and left-hand staircase balustrade added). Corner fireplace with bolection-moulded wooden surround. Right-hand ground-floor room: mainly c.1680-1700 fittings. Bolection-moulded oak panelling with dado rail and moulded cornice. Fireplace has C20 bolection- moulded wooden surround with panel over. Windows with bolection-moulded surrounds, panelled reveals and seats. 6-panelled doors with L-H hinges and bolection-moulded surrounds. First-floor landing with c.1680-1700 painted imitation bolection panelling (red/brown with shading). Right- hand first-floor bedroom: c.1680-70 bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and deep moulded cornice. Plain moulded fireplace surround. Attic with c.1700 panelled doors. Basement: former kitchen to right has large open fireplace with wooden lintel. Former scullery to left with slop sink and sluice; present kitchen in rear wing has large open fireplace with large (probably reused) wooden lintel, a pair of C18 panelled doors with lugged architraves, and three C18 cupboards with shaped heads and drawers below. The sashes in the second bay from the left appear always to have been dummies because they are obstructed by internal walls.

Listing NGR: SJ6744934055

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260375
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01792/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Deakin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].