BRIDGE NUMBER 63, BETTON ROAD BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056088

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: BRIDGE NUMBER 63 BETTON ROAD BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE NUMBER 63, BETTON ROAD BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056088 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:29:43.

Location

Statutory Address: BRIDGE NUMBER 63 BETTON ROAD BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Market Drayton

National Grid Reference: SJ 68317 34688

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 63 SE; 9/85

MARKET DRAYTON C.P., SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL, Bridge No. 63 (Betton Road Bridge)

II

Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Dressed red sandstone with tooled dressings. Elliptical skew arch with voussoirs and raised keystones. Humped-back shape with string course and parapet with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with grooves caused by rope haulage. Oval cast-iron number plate to south. This stretch of canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845, and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp 183-9.

Listing NGR: SJ6831734688

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260389

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 183-9

End of official listing