THE VILLAGE CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1056096

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: THE VILLAGE CROSS, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE VILLAGE CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 13:23:20.

Location

Statutory Address: THE VILLAGE CROSS, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Hinton St. George

National Grid Reference: ST 41971 12623

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP WEST STREET (North side)

7/83 The Village Cross

4.2.58

GV II*

Village cross. Late medieval, with C18 finial. Ham stone ashlar. Octagonal base, the lowest part about 3 metres across and average 900mm high, having chamfered plinth and chamfered coving to nosing of water-holding step of about 500mm wide, then 2 similar steps about 600mm and 450mm high. Square plan socket base, having a chamfered plinth, in all about 750mm wide x 500mm high, the top corners either broached or prepared as bases for small pinnacles. The shaft square at base changing to an octagon, with statue, said to be of St John the Baptist, in canopied surround applied on east face. Finial of classical design, with Doric cap, cube for a former sundial, and a ball finial, the whole about 6 metres high. One of the best village crosses/Tn G county, with important streetscene value, in what is probably its original position. Scheduled Ancient Monument, (Somerset County No 432). (Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877; VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p39).

Listing NGR: ST4197112623

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262333

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 39
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)

End of official listing