BOW BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056101
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
BOW BRIDGE, SCOTTS WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOW BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 01:11:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOW BRIDGE, SCOTTS WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Merriott
County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
West and Middle Chinnock
National Grid Reference:
ST4591813263

Details

MERRIOTT CP

ST41SE

3/91

SCOTTS WAY

Bow Bridge

4.2.58

II

Road bridge over River Parrett. C18, widened in 1880. Ham stone ashlar. Semi-circular arch: plain parapets with iron cramps, returned on curves at each corner to conform to bank seating.

The road was the recognised Wells/Dorchester route in 1675 (Ogilby) but was never turnpiked and lost its importance: it was widened in 1880 by the Crewkerne Highway Board at a cost of £14.

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of West Chinnock, at List entry 1176985. This entry was removed from the List on 14 December 2017.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14 December 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262341
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16210/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].