MERRIOTT FIRST SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056111
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
MERRIOTT FIRST SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MERRIOTT FIRST SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 17:39:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
MERRIOTT FIRST SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Merriott
National Grid Reference:
ST 44176 12784

Details

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

9/121 Merriott First School

GV II

School. 1876, extended c1900. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tiled roofs with bands of scallop tiles, between coped gables having gabletted finials, the 1875 portion having wrought-iron finials in addition. Single-storey, double roof plan with projections on east side, High Victorian gothic style. North, roadside, elevation of 3 bays, of which bay 1 is the flank of a projection, and bays 2 and 3 are gabled. 3-light plain mullioned window to bay 1. Bay 2 has a 5-light pointed-arched unmoulded sub-arcuated plate traceried window under pointed-arched label, with a 2-aperture vent in gable. Bay 3 has a segmental-arched double-transomed 3-light window with string over. East elevation also 3 bays. Plain 3-light window bay 1. Bay 2 in form of projecting porch under a catslide roof, with a bell turret on gable. Bay 3, a full gable, has a 3-light plate-traceried window without label. Small extension, set lower, on south side. Interior not seen. Erected as an infants Board school, after the formation of a School Beard in 1875, this school was merged with the Former Sunday School opposite (qv) to form the Merriott First School in 1972. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p 1).

Listing NGR: ST4417612784

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262371
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 61

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08916/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Fred Ballam. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].