THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056112
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE, HIGHER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056112.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 00:48:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE, HIGHER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Merriott
National Grid Reference:
ST 44663 13115

Details

ST41SW MERRIOTT CP HIGHER STREET (north-west side)

2/123 The Manor House

4.2.58

GV II

Detached house. C18. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between coped gables having obelisks over kneelers and ball finial to east gable; ashlar chimney stacks. 'L'-plan; 2 storeys; 4 bays, of which bay 4 is set back slightly. Plinth, cornice, plain parapet, rusticated quoins. To first floor 20-pane sash windows set in architraves to first floor; to ground floor, 16-pane sash windows to bays 1 and 3. French doors to bay 4: to bay 2 a C20 glazed floor with surround of fluted Doric pilasters and full entablature with flat stone hood. Projecting single-storey wing from south-east corner, with 2 bays of large 16-pane sash windows having keystoned lintols on west flank; on east flank are C19 additions to give a Gothick flavour. Extensions to match rear of house. Interior not seen. This house, the property of the Whitley family, only became the Manor House when they inherited the lordship of the manor in 1906: the earlier manor house no longer survives (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p 55).

Listing NGR: ST4466313115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262373
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 55

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].