COURT MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056116

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: COURT MILL, LOWER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 20:04:51.

Location

Statutory Address: COURT MILL, LOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Merriott

National Grid Reference: ST 44399 12166

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP LOWER STREET (South side, off)

9/132 Court Mill (formerly listed as Court Mills Mill)

4.2.58

GV II

Former mill, coverted into house. Later C18/early C19, modified later C20. Ham stone near-ashlar; plain clay tiled roof between stepped coped gables; stone chimney stack. Two storeys with attic, 3-bay north elevation. Plain mullioned windows with beaded surrounds and shallow architraves, with some C20 replacements, 3-light to both floors in bay 1, 2-lights to both floors bay; 16-pane deep sash window to front floor bay 2. To right of lower bay 1 doorway in matching surround, lower bay 2 blind but with indications of former building abutting, and lower bay 3 has a matching single-storey lean-to. East gable, which also includes the end of a rear outshut, has a C20 door and matching windows to ground and first floor, with an earlier 3-light window to attic. Interior not seen. Mill first recorded by 1573, but know by implication from 1556; it ceased grinding in the 1930s. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p58).

Listing NGR: ST4439912166

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262382

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 58

End of official listing