This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWER HOUSE (HINTON HOUSE) AND WING WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH SIDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWER HOUSE (HINTON HOUSE) AND WING WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH SIDE

List entry Number: 1056133

Location

TOWER HOUSE (HINTON HOUSE) AND WING WALL ATTACHED TO NORTH SIDE, HINTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hinton St. George

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262324

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK

7/72 Tower House (Hinton House) and wing wall attached to north side (formerly listed as part of Hinton House and Stables) 4.2.58 GV II

House, formerly the porte cochere of Hinton House (qv). 1814 by Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyattville) for fourth Earl Poulett. Ham stone ashlar; concrete slate roofs, partly hipped, partly hidden by parapets. Single-storey except for tower which is 2-storey; west elevation of 7 bays, the tower being bay 4. Plinth, string courses, battlemented parapets; to bays 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 are two-light Y-traceried marginal casement windows in pointed-arched recesses with labels; bays 3 and 5 set higher, with blank shield plaques over windows; bay 6 has a 4-light flat-arched window to match. Base of tower has tall moulded 4-centre archway with pair of split boarded doors with ornamental leaded fanlight. The 2-stage tower has side pilasters, a plaque with a device (not the Poulett Arms) over the doorway arch. Above is a clock set into a recessed square panel, weathervane on top. The wall extended northwards to match, with a 4-centre open arch close to the house. On the east side the matching tower arch blocked by a 'Y'-traceried casement: the remaining windows appear to be of late C20, as are the roofs: the date 1814 appears on the rainwater stackheads under the Poulett arms. Interior not seen. Of important group value with Hinton House (qv). Design exhibited at Royal Academy, 1814 (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, pp41-44).

Listing NGR: ST4181512446

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 41-44
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

National Grid Reference: ST 41815 12446

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:24:32.

End of official listing