This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WYATT'S COURT (HINTON HOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WYATT'S COURT (HINTON HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1056134

Location

WYATT'S COURT (HINTON HOUSE), 1-7, HINTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hinton St. George

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262326

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP HINTON PARK

7/74 Nos 1 to 7 (inclusive) Wyatt's Court (Hinton House) (formerly listed as part of Hinton House and Stables) 4.2.58

GV II

The former stable court and riding house to Hinton House (qv). Late C18, by Sir John Soane, continued by James Wyatt for Earl Poulett, modified in later C20. Ham stone ashlar, parts carefully carved to look like cobbles; concrete slate roofs behind parapets; ashlar chimney stacks. 'L' plan, 2 storeys. West facade of 9 bays, the end bays set higher. Plinth, cobbled face walling to ground floor and outer bays at first floor level, string courses, battlemented parapets. End bays have 12-pane sashes both levels, the central bays have 6-pane sashes to first floor and 12-pane to ground floors, in plain openings or plain ashlar surrounds when set in 'cobbles'. To lower bay 5 a pair of wide doors in large keystoned architrave under moulded flat hood on large console brackets; new entrances to nos 2 and 3. Rainwater stackheads have Poulett arms, and dates 1791, 1795 and 1910. South elevation of 10 bays to match, with one matching return bay, with 2 upper windows, southwards to Hinton House. Across the north side of the former stable courtyard a battlemented ashlar wall about 4.5 metres high, with plinth and moulded string on north side: this screens C20 garages on south side. All elevations to interior of courtyard modified in late 1960s/early 1970s, but no 7 retains two Gothic revival windows. Interiors not seen but thought to be substantially altered. Range has important group value with Hinton House. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, pp41-44).

Listing NGR: ST4121810869

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 41-44
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

National Grid Reference: ST 41770 12399

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 10:57:31.

End of official listing