HILLSIDE EAST WEST HILLSIDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056148
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
HILLSIDE EAST
Statutory Address:
WEST HILLSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILLSIDE EAST
WEST HILLSIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 10:37:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
HILLSIDE EAST
Statutory Address:
WEST HILLSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Haselbury Plucknett
National Grid Reference:
ST 47264 11604

Details

ST41SE HASELBURY PLUCKNETT CP ---

3/12 West Hillside and Hillside East

II

Pair houses. Dated 1889. Local red brick with yellow brick decorations. Flemish bond, with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof with plain terra-cotta ridges, plain overhung gables with decorative bargeboards. Brick chimney stacks; the large central stack, 4 flues set diagonally, forms a tall and prominent feature. Two storeys; north elevation of 6 bays irregular fenestration, of which bays 2, 3 and 4 form the main block. Stone plinth, coloured brick banding, quoins and dressings to openings. Bay 1 in form of east crosswing, 2 storeys but cut into hill so that first floor is now a garage, with doors in north gable. Main block has segmental-arched 2-light casements: bays 5 and 6 narrower on plan and set lower, all to match. Doorways between bays 2/3 and in a lean-to against lower bay 5: single-storey projection from between bays 3/4 having large chimney stack at north end. East end gable has projecting chimney stack and a datestone, shield-shaped, reading VP/1889. South elevation to match. Interiors not seen. The pair of houses built on the site of a brickworts and sawmills, on a prominent hillside site overlooking the village, presumably intended to promote the use of brickwork in what is a predominantly stone area. Some brickworks buildings survive to the north of the houses, but now adapted and not of special interest. Haselbury Brickyard was owned by the Portman family and presumably the initials 'VP' refer to a member of that family.

Listing NGR: ST4726411604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262260
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].