MILESTONE, OUTSIDE THE POST OFFICE AND STORES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056154

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: MILESTONE, OUTSIDE THE POST OFFICE AND STORES, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILESTONE, OUTSIDE THE POST OFFICE AND STORES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 23:28:26.

Location

Statutory Address: MILESTONE, OUTSIDE THE POST OFFICE AND STORES, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Haselbury Plucknett

National Grid Reference: ST 47212 10841

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4710 HASELBURY PLUCKNETT CP NORTH STREET (East side)

10/28 Milestone, outside the Post Office and Stores (not included on the list)

GV II Milestone. Early C18. Ham stone pillar with cast iron plaque. Stone about 500mm wide x 200mm thick x 1.1m high, with triangular top: plaque about 300mm wide and 220m high, including a double-ogee top, reads: 'VII/YEOVIL', the town name set on slight curve. The road through the village was the main Salisbury to Exeter route by 1675, but was bypassed soon after 1840: it was the principal road maintained, from 1753, by the Yeovil Trust. (Bentley, J.B and Murless B.J, Somerset Roads, SIAS, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4721210841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262277

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)

End of official listing