This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE ABOUT 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF AVISHAYS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE ABOUT 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF AVISHAYS

List entry Number: 1056181

Location

FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE ABOUT 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF AVISHAYS, WHITEMOOR HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chaffcombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262135

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHAFFCOMBE CP WHITEMOOR HILL (West side Off) ST30NE 4/8 Former stables and coach house about 20 metres south-east of Avishays

GV II Stables and coach house now garage and garden store. C18, possibly 1759, as it matches the dated north wing of Avishays (qv). Red brick in Flemish bond, with Ham stone ashlar dressings; hipped Welsh slate roofs. 'L'-plan, single storey, 5 bays x 3 bays, one bay deep. West elevation facing house has plinth, rusticated quoins; the two outer bays have beaded mullioned and transomed 2-light windows in shallow architraves, and between them a pair of 5 panel doors in matching architrave with pediment hood on console brackets. North elevation of return wing of 5 bays, with matching windows to bays 2, 4 and 5; stable doors bay 1 and carriage doors bay 3, these last having cast iron and glass canopy: to side of this doorway a pump with lead spout box dated 1724. Part of the setting to a distinguished C13 house: the interiors not seen.

Listing NGR: ST3524209227

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 35242 09227

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056181 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 03:55:18.

End of official listing