Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056183.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 16:08:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Cricket St. Thomas
National Grid Reference:
ST 37289 08584


CRICKET ST THOMAS CP ST30NE CRICKET PARK 4/11 Church of St Thomas 4.2.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. C14 origins, but almost totally rebuilt c1868 for the second Lord Bridport. Knapped and squared flint, with Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with stone slab base courses between stepped coped gables with cross finials. Three-unit plan of single-bay chancel, 2-bay nave and south transept, with south-east vestry and west porch and short west tower with spirelet. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses, eaves course; east window a 3-liqht, C14 style traceried, in hollowed recess with plain stopped label; no window on north side. Vestry has flat roof behind moulded plain parapet, with C14 style 2-light windows in south and east walls. South transept has angled corner buttresses, a 3-light south window matching that of chancel and a small lancet in gable over and a single-light window in the west wall. Nave has angled corner buttresses, one 3-light window in south wall and 2 in north, and one in the west gable set over the porch; west porch has angled corner buttresses, 4-centre outer and inner arches, and a small cusped lancet in gable, small 2-light side windows. Tower its on a corbel-table of the west nave gable, and has an offset plinth and offset angled pilasters, with minature gables to each face and small steeplet terminating in a windvane, Interior apparently totally C19, with arched timber rib-and-panel ceilings; the chancel and south sanctuary (transept) arches in C15 style and could incorporate work of that date. Late C19 panelled reredos; the communion rail, priest desk, pulpit, pews all of c1868, the font in timber with openwork timber cover, first used in 1881. Many monuments to the Nelson (Lord bronte) family and Hood (Lord Bridport) family; particularly fine is that on chancel south wall commemorating Alexander Hood, died 1814, designed and signed by J Soane, Archt, with black marble base topped by a white marble monument with typical Soanian pediment on Ionic columns framing the memorial plaque; opposite on north wall a monument of similar character but of lesser design, unsigned, to the Rev<. William Earl Nelson, died 1835. Mounted on the north nave wall is a fragment of the alter cloth used in the Coronation Service of Queen Elizabeth II. (The grading of this church solely on the strength of the Soane Monument). (VCH Somerset Vol IV, 1978, pp140-141; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3728908584


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 140-141
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13660/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].