CHURCH OF ST MARY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1056212
Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056212 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 14:41:58.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: ST 65468 29309
4/183 Church of St. Mary
Anglican Parish Church. Tower C11 and later, remainder rebuilt by J.A. Reeve in 1878.
Cary stone, some rubble but mostly ashlar, Doulting or Ham stone dressings; plain clay
tiled roofs between coped gables with cross finials. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel,
3-bay nave and north aisle, with south porch and south tower. Chancel of C19, with
angled corner buttresses, eaves course; east wall has string courses and gable vent;
3-light east window with C19 version geometric tracery with arched label having
unworked stops; 3 north windows are 2-light with C14 style simple cusped tracery,
without labels; 2 south windows are wide 3-light with 4-centred arches set in chamfered
recesses, C15 style tracery, and between them a pointed arched doorway with label
having unworked stops. North aisle has, in east wall, a small wheel window to gable,
and below two pairs cusped lancets; corner double chimney; north wall has bay
buttresses and eaves course, with a 2-light plate traceried window to east bay, with
pairs cusped lancets to other bays, all without labels; west wall has rather heavily
detailed 2-light Geometric traceried windows. Nave has corner buttresses, eaves course;
in south wall a single-light cusped lancet, and in west wall a wheel window with two
cusped lancets below. South porch simple, with side buttresses, end gable with
crocketted finial over plain pointed arch with label having unworked stops. Tower of
C11 origins, has 2 stages; plinth, string courses, corner qargoyles to upper string,
battlemented parapets with corner pinnacles; first stage has thin lancet high in west
face; in south wall a C19 3-light window under an inserted string; plain above and on
east face; second stage has small 2-light C15 traceried windows with plain arched
labels, fitted with wood baffles, all faces; in north-east corner a C19 octagonal stair
turret with outer door, and ring of quatrefoil windows under hipped stone roof.
Interior mostly of C19 detail; chancel walls rough rendered, with timber panelled
barrel-vault ceiling; low cusped arched recess in north wall of sanctuary possibly C14;
C20 alabaster and mosaic reredos; chancel arch in C13 style with 4 coloured marble
detached shafts to each jamb. Nave has king-post roof trusses and timber boarded barrel
vault, with C13 style arcade to north aisle; Cll arch to tower space, plain, with label
and imposts. Fittings unexceptionally C19, except the font which is a slightly rural C15
octagonal font with panelled bowl and shaft, and the C17 altar table. Several small
C18 memorial tablets, mostly to the Rogers family. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England,
South and West Smerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST6546829309
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 262116
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing