This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MILL BUILDING TO ANSFORD FACTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILL BUILDING TO ANSFORD FACTORY

List entry Number: 1056228

Location

MILL BUILDING TO ANSFORD FACTORY, UPPER HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Castle Cary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262054

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP UPPER HIGH STREET (North side) ST6432 6/121 Mill building to Ansford Factory GV II

Original mill building. 1851, for John Boyd, horsehair weaver. Hadspen stone cut and squared; Welsh slate roof between coped gables, the south gable having a bell turret, the bell removed. Three storeys, 13 bays. Casement windows of 16 panes in plain openings with proud-set voussoirs and keystones to flat arches: lower bay 1, and second floor above, has pairs plain boarded doors, and matching doors lower bay 13. Second floor door and steel fire escape on north gable. Interior not greatly modified. The first building on this site of John Boyd's horsehair and general weaving establishment, relocated from South Cary (Chapel Yard House, qv) to the grounds of Ochiltree House (qv) in 1851. (McGarvie M, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6433632500

Selected Sources

Books and journals
McGarvie, M , Castle Cary Avalon Industries, (1980)

National Grid Reference: ST 64336 32500

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056228 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 06:11:05.

End of official listing