CHAPEL YARD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056239

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CHAPEL YARD HOUSE, CHAPEL YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL YARD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 00:32:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL YARD HOUSE, CHAPEL YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Castle Cary

National Grid Reference: ST 63807 31899

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP CHAPEL YARD (North side) ST6331 7/46 Chapel Yard House

GV II

Semi-detached house. Late C18, modified C20. Cary stone random rubble, with ashlar quoins and whole of first floor, front elevation; double Roman clay tile roof between stepped coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. Two storeys, 3 bays. Pairs of 12-pane sash windows in plain openings with voussoired flat heads; to centre bay an early C20 glazed door under timber lintol, with timber pedimented hood on shaped brackets. Interior not seen. John Boyd took up residence here c1835, and set up looms in this cottage for horse-hair weaving in 1837. The business expanded to the Ansford factory (qv) in 1851, and survives today as the last such weavers in the country. (McGarvie M, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6380731899

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 261979

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
McGarvie, M , Castle Cary Avalon Industries, (1980)

End of official listing