THE MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1056254

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1974

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 08:41:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Castle Cary

National Grid Reference: ST 64092 32381

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP MARKET PLACE (West side) ST6432 6/87 The Market House 4.2.74 GV II*

Market house with other public buildings. 1855, by F.C. Penrose. Cary stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; Delabole slate roof between stepped coped gables crowned with small pinnacles; central lead-covered spirelet with clock-faces set diagonally onto ridge. In a Flemish style. 'L'-plan; 3 storeys, 7-bay main facade. Open colonnade to ground floor, with circular non-classical columns carrying chamfered 3-centred arches; then string courses to a panelled section with pointed arohed recesses having alternately circular and triangular leaded windows; to upper storey in bays 2, 4 and 6 are hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with three 4-centre-arched lights under flat heads without labels. North- east elevation has two open pointed arches at ground floor; then two pairs of small rectangular windows divided by a central shaft carrying a 1+2+1 light oriel window at second floor level having chamfered mullions and transomes, and stepped stone roof with a gable vent over. South- west elevation has an end gable, featuring staircase windows, and a 3-bay extension to the rear to match, adjusted to suit the slope of the hill alongside. Rear elevation has a gabled projection with segmental arched casements at ground floor level, a single and a 2-light rectangular window to first floor with casements, and similar windows to second floor but with rectangular leaded-pane lights, gable vent above: sundry later extensions to fill in the angle including a covered walkway and fire escape stairway. Erected by the Market House Company to replace the former house of 1616, possibly reusing the old columns, in anticipation of increased trade after the projected arrival of the railway in 1856. The undercroft, still enclosed by wrot iron railings, was for the market, particularly for corn, and at the rear were several cells; above were reading and news rooms and facilities for musical entertainments (McGarvie M, Castle Cary; Avalon Industries, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6412632378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262020

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
McGarvie, M , Castle Cary Avalon Industries, (1980)

End of official listing