This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1056264

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Alford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261935

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALFORD CP ST63SW 1/2 Church of All Saints 24.3.61 GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Almost completely C15, with minor C19 restoration. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs between coped gables, those to chancel and porch having bands of scallop tiles. Two cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with west tower and south porch. Chancel has moulded double plinth, angled corner buttresses, cross finial to east gable; 3-light C15 traceried window in slight hollowed recess in east wall, under pointed arched label with headstops; matching 2-light windows to north and south sides, all but the south-west having external ferramenta; between south windows a 4-centre arched moulded doorway with floriated spandrils under square label with headstops. Nave has chamfered plinth, bay buttresses, string course with gargoyles and battlemented parapet; 3-light windows matching chancel east window. South porch has coped south gable with cross finial and wide, almost triangular-arched doorway with quatrefoil spandrils under square label with headstops; inside similar but plainer moulded doorway apparently with original door. Tower of 2 stages; angled corner buttresses to lower stage, plinth, string course, plain low parapet, pyramidal roof; stage 1 plain to north and south, but has mou1ded pointed-arched west doorway, without label and above a plainer 2-light window, possibly C14, without label; to all faces stage 2 a single trefoil cusped light with incised spandrils to head, no labels. Inside, the chancel has a king-post trussed roof with traceried infill panels, all members including rafters and purlins moulded; decorative eaves band; drops to trusses supported on angel-carved corbels - all C15 with a little C19 restoration; C19 reredos panels and choirstalls, but a complete C15 screen without overthrow, possibly a relocation; the moulded chancel arch possibly C14. Early C17 altar table. Nave has shallow ribbed and panelled roof, probably C19; very small and plain tower arch: elaborately carved pulpit dated 1625, set into 4-centre arched recess in north wall, with supporting low screen of verger's desk, and back panelling; plain octagonal font, and a number of carved bench ends with poppyheads to medieval benches; good early C20 timber screen to tower. All nave windows have internal ferramenta, with a considerable amount of medieval stained glass in north windows, including large figure of St Mary Magdelen; good Cl9 stained glass in south chancel windows, one dated 1859 and the other 1898. One memorial tablet over south door, a draped plaque to John Thring, died 1830. First recorded rector 1329. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6046232606

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 60452 32603

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056264 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 05:54:46.

End of official listing