COLINSHAYS HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WING WALL TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056459

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: COLINSHAYS HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WING WALL TO NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLINSHAYS HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WING WALL TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056459 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 06:17:02.

Location

Statutory Address: COLINSHAYS HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WING WALL TO NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Brewham

National Grid Reference: ST 70707 36062

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST73NW BREWHAM CP



2/46 Colinshays House with attached wing wall to North



GV II

House. c1815, with substantial later C19 addtions. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; earlier portion has Welsh slates between coped gables, newer section has hipped roof with featured coped gables; stone chimney stacks, the later arranged in diagonal groups. The 1815 portion to North West rustic in character, of 2 storeys with attics, 4 bays. Small pane casements in plain openings with keystones at lower level; bays 1 and 4 coped gabled with attic windows, battlemented parapet between then. On North side of this portion a gable with bell in bell shaped turret over pointed arch doorway and pointed "Y"-traceried sash windows. Later block to South East trapezoid on plain, more formal; 2 storeys, 2 bays. Plinth string and eaves cornices; timber mullioned and transomed windows with small panes set into ashlar surrounds with labels, gables over first floor windows; between bays an ashlar porch in Gothic style with corner buttresses, moulded 4-centre arch doorway, with pair 10-panel doors; plain square plaque over. This portion apparently little altered internally. To North a rubble wing wall leading to tall archway with shield over set into stepped gable leading into the farmyard, a group of unremarkable C19 buildings. House started by one John Dampier, also owner of Brewham Manor about 1815. (Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST7070736062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 261474

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, (1972)

End of official listing