MANNING CHEST TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST CORNER CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056464
Date first listed:
29-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
MANNING CHEST TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST CORNER CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHARCROFT HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANNING CHEST TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST CORNER CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:39:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANNING CHEST TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST CORNER CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHARCROFT HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Brewham
National Grid Reference:
ST 71982 36142

Details

ST73NW BREWHAM CP CHARCROFT HILL (West side) SOUTH BREWHAM

2/29 Manning Chest Tomb, in churchyard 4 metres South of South East corner, Church of Saint John the Baptist



GV II*

Chest tomb. 1618. Doulting stone. Base and lower parts of panels buried: two panels each flank, one each end with reeded pilasters with decorated square panels at tops; very heavy dentilled hipped top. On South side the left panel reads: HERERSTETH/THEBODIEOF/WILLIAMMA/NNINGWH/(ODE)CEASEDTHE/(-)OF JUNE1618; the right panel reads: HEREALSO/RESTETHE/BODYOF MAR/GRETHISWI/FEWHO DECE/ASEDTHEXXI/DECEMB1623. On North side inscription almost gone, but "Elizabeth - died 1697" discenable in right panel, which is signed in script lettering: "RA".

Listing NGR: ST7198236142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
261487
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/12820/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Murray Pearson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].