This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1056477

Location

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, PRINCES STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Yeovil

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261418

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51NE YEOVIL CP PRINCES STREET (West side) ST5516SE

2/80 United Reformed Church 5/80 -

- II

Church, built 1878; by T. Lewis Banks. Ham stone ashlar with some polychromy; Welsh slate roof with ornamental clay ridge tiles between coped gables. Notionally 2-storeys, in a Romanesque style. Street facade is actually an end gable proud of two short side wings, giving effectively 3-bays: projecting central doorway with semi-circular recessed arch of three orders, corbelled gable; doorway flanked on each side by semi-circular headed window and buttress to pilaster: above a 5-window arcade with semi-circular arches having pink marble columns; gable corbelled and bearing 1878 datestone. The side wings lower, with semi-circular headed doorways and long thin semi-circular headed windows above. South return elevation in random local stone with ashlar dressings, of 6-bays, with shouldered flat-arch windows to ground floor and semi-circular arched windows above. The 1901 rooms and the asbestos cement sheeting clad buildings to the rear not of interest. Interior: extended gallery at 'West' end, below which are C20 meeting rooms, and a 3-bay double colonnade with Byzantine caps (inserted 1923); fittings of 1878. Replaces earlier chapel of 1792 (set back from road, between nos 11 and 15).

Listing NGR: ST5550916021

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 55509 16021

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056477 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 09:53:35.

End of official listing