THE NEWNAM MEMORIAL BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056489
Date first listed:
03-Nov-1980
Statutory Address:
THE NEWNAM MEMORIAL BLOCK, SOUTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NEWNAM MEMORIAL BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 08:35:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE NEWNAM MEMORIAL BLOCK, SOUTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Yeovil
National Grid Reference:
ST 55609 15875

Details

ST5515NE YEOVIL CP SOUTH STREET (South side)

8/112 The Newnam Memorial Block

3.11.80

GV II

Hall and Schoolrooms, of 1912. Ham stone ashlared, random courses, with contrasting stone dressings, Welsh slate roof. In a classical, but less severe style than the main 1868 building, and set back slightly from it 2-storey facade of 5-bays, with deep plinth capped by cill string, rusticated quoins, string course to first floor, and cornice with plain parapet. 4-bays of windows, 12-pane casements with semi-circular deadlights set in shouldered keystoned architraves to ground floor; above shallower 12-pane sashes with radial semi-circular deadlights in shouldered architraves carried down below cills. Bay 5 has channelled pilasters framing a Doric doorpiece with panelled doors and a semi-circular fanlight chanelled arch over the entablature; above a semi-circular headed window with apron and bracketted open pedimented head, the whole crowned by an open segmental pediment incorporating tablet reading 'Baptist Schools 1912'. The words "Newnam Memorial" incised into string band over entrance doorway. The interior not inspected. The third phase of development on the Baptist Church site, acting as an enlargement to the Baptist Hall and Schoolrooms (q.v.).

Listing NGR: ST5561215867

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
261450
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00103/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].