This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1056528



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lovington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263380

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LOVINGTON CP ST53SE LOVINGTON VILLAGE 1/55 Church of St Thomas of Cantebury 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13 origins; restored and enlarged in 1861. Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate roof to chancel, plain clay tile roof to nave having bands of fishscale tiles, between coped gables with cross finials, catslide roof to north aisle. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, with north-east corner vestry, south porch and west tower. Chancel apparently C15, but with east wall rebuilt in C19: plinth, angled corner buttresses, eaves course; 3-light C15 traceried east window, with 2-light window on sides to match, one to north and two to south; between the latter a narrow moulded pointed arched doorway. Nave mostly C19, with a 3-light and a 2-light window in south wall, both with C15 style tracery, divided by C19 porch having plain outer arch and a moulded 4-centre-arched inner doorway, with stoup to right of door and trefoil cusped statue niche over, small 2-light side windows. North aisle a C19 addition; plinth, bay buttresses, chimney to north-east corner; 2-light C15 style traceried windows, with a single light window in west wall; vestry added on east end, having single-light window in east wall and door in recess between vestry and chancel. Tower of C13 origins, modified and possibly heightened in C19: 3 stages double plinth, angled corner buttresses 2 stages high; string courses, the top with gargoyles, plain parapet; north-east corner stair turret one stage high: small west door in moulded 4-centre archway under arched label with foliated square stops, above a simple 2-light window in hollowed arched recess, rather deep, with ornamental cill - otherwise plain to lowest stage: stage 2 plain on all but south face, which has a small thin lancet window of C13; third stage may be C19, with C15 style 2-light pointed arched windows with pierced stone baffles to all faces. Inside, chancel has C15 character; plain plastered barrel vault ceiling, a simple arched piscina and a C15 or C16 surround to an aumbrey in north wall, with door dated 1842; simple double chamfer chancel arch, possibly C14. Nave mostly C19: arched braced roof trusses, some moulded arched recesses in south wall, one possibly a piscina, and also some arches by the pulpit - the arcade C19, as is the north aisle. Furniture includes C17 altar table and a sanctuary chair; font and pulpit Cl9; several C16 bench ends with poppy-head finials to pews. First recorded rector 1318. (Pevsner, Bui1dings of England, South and West Somerset 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5967430836

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST5967430836


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 04:45:34.

End of official listing